Your ultimate summer smoothie recipe is right here! This Strawberry Basil Smoothie is seriously the most refreshing smoothie you will ever taste! It will cool you right off on a hot day. Frozen strawberries, fresh summer basil, and chia seeds for extra protein? YES PLEASE! Perfect for both kids and adults. Gluten-free and vegan.
This post contains affiliate links. I only post links to products I completely trust and highly recommend. Please see full disclosure here.
Note: This post was originally published on my food blog, A Bite of Inspiration (read more about it in this post here). It’s been slightly edited and modified to make the content even more inspiring and the recipe even more delicious! Enjoy!
If you’ve read my About Me page then you know that I absolutely adore smoothies! They’re healthy, refreshing, and a tasty way to add extra nutrients to your diet. What’s not to love?
I drink a smoothie almost every morning and come up with new smoothie recipes regularly (check Recent Recipes for the latest ones) yet this simple Strawberry Basil Smoothie is still one of my all-time favorites! Why?
- It only has 4 ingredients! Less grocery shopping = win!
- It has chia seeds for extra protein and nutrition. Fun fact: Chia seeds are higher in antioxidants than any other whole food including blueberries! (Check out more health benefits of chia seeds here!) They also work to naturally thicken the smoothie without yogurt or ice!
- It has fresh basil, which makes it an extra refreshing smoothie! Basil has a natural sweetness that pairs perfectly with fruit. If you haven’t tried basil with strawberries yet, here’s your chance! They are a match made in smoothie heaven.
- It’s such a pretty pink color. Any pink lover will love this smoothie (kids included!)
- It’s so easy! Just soak the chia seeds for 5 minutes, toss everything in a blender, and voila– a healthy and refreshing smoothie! Speaking of blenders, this one here is on my Amazon wish list! I’m obsessed. 😍
And that list is just the start! This Strawberry Basil Smoothie is so creamy, refreshing, and delicious! It’s vegan (unless you choose to use regular milk instead of coconut milk) and gluten-free. Did I mention that strawberry and basil are a magical combination? They play off each other perfectly giving this smoothie a new dimension you don’t get from a regular fruit drink. It brings this summer smoothie recipe to a whole new level. Smoothies with fresh herbs are the new cool drink (pun intended).
Enjoy this smoothie on a hot August day OR any other time of the year to remind you of that hot August day! Either way, this is a summer smoothie recipe that you’ll come back to all year long. Enjoy! 😃
Are smoothies with fresh herbs your new favorite thing? (I hope so!) Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Strawberry Basil Smoothie
This refreshing and creamy vegan smoothie is the perfect summer drink! Loaded with frozen fruit, fresh herbs, and chia seeds for extra nutrition... YUM!
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk see recipe note below
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3-4 large basil leaves
Mix the chia seeds with 1/3 cup of coconut milk and soak for about 5 minutes. They should have a gel-like consistency.
Put the frozen strawberries, basil leaves, chia seed mixture, and remaining coconut milk into a blender. Blend until smooth. Enjoy cold!
The unsweetened coconut milk I used comes in a carton (like this one here, which only has 45 calories per serving). I don't recommend using canned coconut milk because it's too thick and higher in fat/calories. You can also use almond milk, regular milk, or whatever other type of milk you prefer!
If the smoothie is too thick, feel free to add more coconut milk until it has the right consistency.